Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wonderful

Yesterday, things got real. It was just drinks with some colleagues (I think about 20-30 people came), but it was wonderful. While the non-locals hires get a pack-out, hit the road and get to realize "yes, I'm doing this now", that hadn't hit me until yesterday. These people are my A-100 class. These people are going to be diplomats, with me, on Monday.

Wonderful = everyone gets it. No one asking "Oh, Foreign Service, where are you going?", or trying to explain a bid list, or talking about what a CNL obligation is. Instead, we talked about or bid list fantasies, our travel histories, our shared anxieties about what we're getting in to.

Wonderful = the people. We have everything - couples with kids in college making a career change, people fresh out of college, someone relocating from Sweden, China, Japan. Oddly enough, I didn't meet any other Middle East focused people. I know there's at least someone else with Arabic points, so hopefully I'll meet him today.

So yes, one evening in, and I'm already deeming this totally wonderful. Let's hope that keeps up.

4 comments:

  1. Great to meet you last night and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great 1st day tomorrow! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mabrook Sarah! I am so happy for you, at long last your agonizing wait is over, and it is finally "real"!

    I know you will be super busy this week, but if you have a spare moment and want to chat, let me know.

    -Aaron الغيور

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! Welcome!!!
    Tomorrow is our Flag day and it will be your first day at FSI. AAAAh. Can you believe it!!! I think you get your bid list tomorrow too. Right?

    ReplyDelete