Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's Next

Dear parents,

In order to avoid having this same conversation multiple times a week, I've decided to write up for you a handy guide on what will be happening next on my way to becoming a Foreign Service Officer.

1) Receive a top-secret security clearance: My file is currently in the adjudications stage, meaning that Diplomatic Security has uncovered all the raw information about me they need, and are now evaluating what they learned to decide whether they will grant me clearance.

2) Pass the final suitability review (FSR): After being cleared, my file is reviewed once more by State to allow them to make sure that I am, in fact, someone they want to be an FSO.

3) The register: Once it's determined that I am, in fact, suitable, I will be placed on the "register", or list of all other candidates seeking to be appointed to the FS as a political officer (all other 'cones' have separate registers, so I'm not competing directly against Public Diplomacy, Management, Economic, or Consular candidates). Place on the register is determined by score at the Oral Assessment (OA, mine = 5.5) and any bonus points (0.5 for Arabic). My best guess at the moment is that I will be in the top 10 people on the register.

4) The Call: Approximately two months before each training/orientation session for new FSOs (called A-100), invitations go out - this is called 'getting the call'.  This is the formal job offer from the Department of State.

5) A-100: Training begins! On the first day, I'll be sworn in and will technically become a State employee. A-100 lasts for 5 weeks.

6) Bidding: In the first or second week of A-100, all members of the class are given an identical list of all the posts that are available for our first tour. Using guidance from a career development officer, the language restrictions (I need to use my Arabic in one of my first two tours), and other considerations, I will 'bid' on the posts, ranking each as a high, medium, or low.

7) Flag day: Near the end of A-100 is the all-exciting Flag Day, the day on which first-tour assignments are given out.

8) And the training continues: Based on the results of flag day, I will be assigned to more technical and linguistic training following the official end of A-100.

9) Serve abroad as a Foreign Service Officer of the U.S. Department of State. 

Wow, that's a lot to do! I have no idea how long it will take to get to step 9, or even to step 2 at this point, but I know I'm ready to be there already!

1 comment:

  1. I am so borrowing this idea...well...taking it. It is pretty similar to what I am waiting for...

    ReplyDelete